Dear Lincoln Academy Parents
In an effort to proactively identify and assist in the area of overall social, emotional and behavioral skills (SEB) your school will be completing the universal screening tool, the SSIS SEL for all Lincoln Academy students. This strength based tool is designed to identify growth over time.
The SSIS SEL is a 6 question survey completed by your student’s teacher. It is simply an indicator of overall strengths and needs in the area of social, emotional and behavioral skills. It is neither prescriptive nor evaluative.
The 6 areas measured through the SSIS SEL are:
- Self-Awareness: A student’s realistic understanding of his/ her strengths and limitations, and consistent desire for self improvement.
- Social Awareness: A student’s capacity to interact with others in ways that show respect, tolerance, and cooperation.
- Self-Management: A student’s success in controlling his/ her emotions and behaviors, especially in new and challenging situations.
- Relationship Skills: A student’s skill at promoting and maintaining positive connections with others.
- Responsible Decision Making: A student’s approach to problem-solving, learning from experience, using values to guide behavior and accepting responsibility
- Motivation to Learn: A student’s approach to learning with respect to behaviors demonstrated in the areas of engagement in instructional activities, capacity to stay on task, and level of effort on difficult or complex activities.
As a school community, we are using the overall school data and individual results to inform the support we provide to students in our school in the area of social, emotional and behavioral skills.
If you would like to learn more about the SSIS SEL please contact the school mental health team at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com